Cat of the Month ~ October 2007The European lynx is cat-like in appearance but is much larger than a domestic cat at just over 1m in length and weighing between 30 – 40Kg. They have a very short tail and ear tufts with a grey-brown spotted coat.
- There are several Scientific names for the Lynx. They are ‘Lynx Lynx’ (Siderian), Lynx Pardinus’ (Iberian), Lynx Canadensis (Canadian) or Lynx Rufus.
- Lynx are rare animals with only small numbers present in just a few countries of Europe.
- Some people are allowed to hunt lynx in Europe for their fur and skins.
- Lynx have been reintroduced to some European countries to help them increase their numbers.
- Some people want to return lynx to the wild in Britain.
- It is thought that Scotland has enough wild places for about 350 lynx. However farmers may well be against this happening because lynx sometimes kill sheep.
Link to one of many Lynx websites